Driver’s license of New Hampshire is very important for all the residents of New Hampshire. It is so because with this license you can easily and legally operate a vehicle in the state of New Hampshire. So in case you are not aware of how to apply for a driver’s license of New Hampshire or you wish to get a new driving license of New Hampshire then this article would certainly be of help. You can now continue reading to know more about it.
Before we move forward you understand few important things and it is that residents who wish to drive a vehicle in New Hampshire, they must compulsory have a driver’s license. However if you are new to this state (that is you have come from another state) then you should get New Hampshire driver license in 60 days at the maximum.
This time is calculated from the time you moved to the state. Another important point to be kept in mind is that the New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles is responsible for allotting driving license to the applicants.
Therefore it is best for you to visit the official website only for information related to driver license in New Hampshire. In the passages to come you will know more about how to apply for your New Hampshire driver license apart from New Hampshire driver license fees. In addition you have idea of how to renew driver license.
How to apply for New Hampshire driver license?
- Applicants who are 18 years old can apply for their driver’s license at DMV office
- To check the address and services provided by the driver’s license office you can click on following link as it takes you to the official website – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/locations/index.htm
Points to remember
If you under the age of 18 then you must complete Driver Education Program in order to go further and apply for a driver’s license at New Hampshire. To help you further we have given the official website link to the Education and Training of Driver Licensing, Driver Education Schools here. By following this link you can directly go to the official website of New Hampshire Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles and the link is – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/education-training/driving-schools.htm.
Which form should I fill when applying for New Hampshire driver license?
When you are applying for New Hampshire driver license, you must fill the application for the driver license of the State of New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles. You would have to fill in all the required details in this form and attach required documents before submitting this form to the authorities.
You will get this form after you click on the following link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv450.pdf.
List of required documents when applying for New Hampshire driver license
Real ID compliant identification and the residency requirements for citizens of the United States
When you wish to get REAL ID COMPLIANT ORIGINAL New Hampshire driver license then it is necessary for you provide some of the documents. And these documents include names like identity proof, New Hampshire address and your Social Security Number.
In case your birth name and name on the document is different then you would have to clearly state the difference. This is not all as apart from this you would have to provide the authorities some of the documents that seem to be valid and indicate your new name.
Listed below are the documents that you can submit in order to get New Hampshire driver license. You continue reading to know more about it here.
Proof of identity documents
- Original or certified copy of your Birth certificate
- Valid and unexpired United States passport card or the United States passport
- Certificate of naturalization
You may submit any one of the above stated documents as they form to be the proof of identity.
List of New Hampshire proof of residency
- Valid and non – expired New Hampshire driver license or the non – driver ID card
- Current year property tax bill
- Valid New Hampshire Vehicle Registration Certificate (here Boat Registration is not a valid document)
- Title application that Tax Collector or City or Town Clerk prepares
- Rental or lease agreement or deed specifying property address (this document has to be signed by both the parties)
- Direct verification by either a parent or a guardian (point to be remembered – in case parent or the guardian is not there then in such cases verification has to be notarized)
When you are about to submit below listed documents then you always remember that these documents have to be dated only in the past 60 days. It is so because it is only after that that they stand to be valid.
- Mortgage statement at property address which has been given
- Notarized letter either from property owner or the current resident (this deals with the address that you have provided)
- Payroll check or employment contract or the payroll document
- Government check or the government document that municipality official issued
- Current utility bill such as gas, electric, oil, water, cable or telephone (fixed line)
From the above list you must submit any two of the documents as they specify New Hampshire residency.
List of documents under the Social Security Number category
- Paystub with complete Social Security Number
- 1099 statement stating your Social Security Number
- Social Security card that Social Security Administration or the SSA issues
- Social Security Number on the W – 2 statement
Again when the question comes up for documents required under Social Security Number then you have to submit any one of the above stated documents when submitting your application for New Hampshire driver license. Apart from this you remember that if you would have to give up your driver license of other states in case you wish to get New Hampshire driver license.
For more information on documents required for New Hampshire driver license you can click on – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency-uscitizen-compliant.pdf.
Required documents for identification and residency requirements (non – compliant) for the citizens of United States
List of documents that can be submitted as identity proof
- Birth certificate (original or a certified copy)
- Unexpired valid United States passport or the U S passport card
- Valid Military ID or the Military dependent ID
- Either a valid photo / the digital image Driver’s license or the non – driver identification card (given by the other states)
- You have to submit any one or two of the above stated documents as they form the required documents for proof of identity
- Second, authorities issuing New Hampshire driver’s license shall not accept driver privilege cards from the other states as they cannot form as the proof of identification
New Hampshire residency proof documents
- Valid New Hampshire Vehicle Registration Certificate (remember that the Boat Registration does not count as a valid New Hampshire residency proof)
- Rental or a lease agreement or a deed that has property address (it must be signed by both the parties)
- Title application that Town or City Clerk prepares (it can be prepared by the Tax Collector as well (but it should never be marked as – ‘non – resident’)
- Property tax or the real estate bull for current year (this bill has to have address already provided)
- Direct verification by either a parent or a guardian while notarization of verification is necessary if parent or guardian is not there
There are some more documents that come under New Hampshire residency proof. You can continue reading to learn about them here. Below given documents must have been dated only in the last 60 days.
- Mortgage statement
- Notarized letter from property owner or the current resident
- Current utility bill (electric, gas, oil, cable, fixed telephone, water or sewer)
- Payroll check, employment contract or payroll document
- Government check or document that municipality official issues
Identity proof documents for New Hampshire driver license
- Paystub having Social Security Number
- Social Security card that the Social Security Administration or SSA issues
- Social Security Administration 1099 Form
- W 2 form having your Social Security Number
- Current employee ID that the State of New Hampshire issues or any other identity card that the United States Federal Government has given
- Photo or the digital image driver license that does not seem to be expired for more than a year
- Current student photo or the digital image ID card of the current year
- Military discharge papers or the separation papers
- Marriage Certificate or the Civil Union Certificate that the State or Government agency issues
- Divorce Decree
You would be required to submit this proof of identity only when you are not providing two documents from the first list of proof of identity documents.
For more information regarding the documents you can click on following link to be directed to the official website of New Hampshire driver license – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency-uscitizen-non-compliant.pdf.
Procedure to get New Hampshire driver’s license
- Now that you are aware of the form to be filled and the documents to be attached when applying for a New Hampshire driver license, it will be easier for you to go ahead with the process
- So when you finish all the above stated processes you can continue with the next process
- In the next step all applicants have to pass a vision test
- For more details on the same you click on https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/testing.htm#vision, the official website of Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles New Hampshire
- In the same link (https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/testing.htm#vision) you would find details for Knowledge Test
- This knowledge test stands to be important because it is necessary for those people who do not have driver license from New Hampshire or any other state
- After knowledge test, applicants have to have Road Test
- Know more about road test here – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/testing.htm#vision, the official website
- When all the above mentioned processes complete then you would be required to pay New Hampshire driver license fee
- The Department of Motor Vehicles, New Hampshire shall give you temporary 60 day driver license
- However permanent driver license would be sent to the address mentioned by you in the New Hampshire driver license application form
- You would be given permanent New Hampshire driver license in 60 days from the day it has been applied for
- In case you are under the age of 21 then you would be getting Youth Operator license
- This license will expire the day you turn 21 (that is your 21st birthday)
New Hampshire driver license fee details
As an applicant of driver’s license in New Hampshire you would be required to pay driver licensing fees. To help you with this knowledge we have listed out complete details in this article below. You can continue reading to know more about it.
How can I pay driver license fee when applying for New Hampshire driver’s license?
There are different methods through which you can make payment for your driver licensing fees. Below you can find ways to pay New Hampshire driver license fee.
Accepted payment method for paying New Hampshire driver license fee
- Cash (in person / at counter transaction are allowed only)
- Credit card such as VISA or MasterCard or you may use American Express for in – person or the phone transactions
- Money order, personal check or a traveler’s check has to be made payable to the State of NH – DMV
|Type of the New Hampshire driver license||Fee amount|
|Operator||$ 50. 00|
|Non – driver identification card||$ 10. 00|
|Motorcycle only or a motor driven cycle only||$ 55. 00|
|Moped||$ 8. 00|
|First time New Hampshire motorcycle or a 3 – wheel license endorsement||$ 30. 00|
|Renewal of either the motorcycle or a 3 – wheel license endorsement||$ 5. 00|
|Duplicate (Driver License or Non-Driver ID card)||$ 10. 00|
|Address change reprint (Driver License or Non – Driver ID card)||$ 3. 00|
Fee for the commercial driver license
|Type of the commercial driver license of New Hampshire||Total fee amount|
|CDL – A combination of the vehicles||$ 60. 00|
|CDL – B single vehicles that weigh 26, 001 lbs or more than that||$ 60. 00|
|CDL – C single vehicle which weighs 26, 000 lbs or less than this number, it can be a bus that has been made to transport about 16 or more than 16 occupants at a given time or a tank vehicle or a hazardous material vehicle||$ 60. 00|
|CDL learner’s permit (this is apart from the fee mentioned above)||$20. 00|
CDL endorsements (this is the fee that must be added to the fee you just read above –
|Endorsement type||Total fee amount|
|H is for the hazardous materials||$ 10. 00|
|N is for the tank vehicles||$ 10. 00|
|P stands for the passenger vehicles (where there are either 16 or more than 16 occupants)||$ 10. 00|
|S stands for the school bus||$ 10. 00|
|T means double or the triple vehicles||$ 10. 00|
For more information related to the fee for New Hampshire driver license, you can go to the official website of Department of Motor Vehicles. And to go there you can click on the following link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/fees.htm.
Now that you are aware of the methods to apply for a driver license of New Hampshire for all the citizens, it is time that you also know the details related to application process of how to get New Hampshire driver license for people who are under the age of 18. You can continue reading to know more about it here.
Requirements to follow to get New Hampshire driver license for minors (under 18)
- Residents can start learning how to drive a vehicle when they are 15 and a half years old
- But they should apply for driver license only after they turn 16
- All drivers under 18 have to complete Driver Education Program (https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/education-training/driver-education.htm)
- In addition written permission from either a parent or guardian has to be provided
- When applying for commercial driver license you must be 18 years old minimum
- If driver is under 21 years then they get Youth Operator License
- This youth operator license expires on your 21st birthday
Steps to apply for New Hampshire under 18 driver license
- When you pass New Hampshire Driver Education Program and complete 40 hours additional supervised driving time then you can go to DMV or the Department of Motor Vehicle office
- But remember that you carry all the documents for driver license application form before going to the office
- It is advised that you to DMV office before the clock strikes 3: 30 pm
- In case you do not know where is Department of Motor Vehicles New Hampshire office then you click on following link to find the DMV office in New Hampshire – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/locations/index.htm
List of required documents when applying for under 18 driver license of New Hampshire
- Proof of identity
- New Hampshire residence proof
- Authorization Certification signed by parent or the guardian (for this you should fill this form – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv38.pdf)
- Drivers out of class log sheet is also important
- Parent or guardian sign the filled in application (get this form by clicking – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv509.pdf)
- Filled in New Hampshire driver license application for applicants who are below the age of 18
- For such applicants you fill the following form available at official website – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv450.pdf
- As you are below 18 years of age, you do not require appointment when applying for a New Hampshire driver’s license
- However it is better if you reach the Department of Motor Vehicle Division New Hampshire before the clock strikes 3: 30 pm
- Because you may have to pass vision, road and knowledge test
- Road tests generally require appointments
- This can only take place when you clear vision as well as knowledge tests
- For scheduling an appointment or know have more information on it, click on – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/testing.htm
- After completing all tests, you pay fee and get a picture taken
- You will get temporary paper license valid for 60 days
- While the Department of Motor Vehicle shall mail you permanent New Hampshire driver license in 60 days from the time it has been applied for
If you hold driver’s license from another state then also you have to follow all the above stated criteria in order to own a New Hampshire driver license. For more information on New Hampshire driver license under 18 you can click on – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/apply/under-18.htm.
How to get New Hampshire commercial driver license?
As a resident of New Hampshire who wishes to get commercial driver license, you would have to follow some of the most important rules. To help you further in this aspect you can keep reading the below mentioned details regarding application process for getting Commercial Driver License in New Hampshire.
New Hampshire commercial driver license application procedure
If you as an applicant holds New Hampshire operators license then you may very easily obtain commercial driver license of New Hampshire. In order to get this license, you must first go to the Department of Motor Vehicles office so that you appear for required tests. You should be in the office only between 8 am and 3 pm.
Documents to be taken to New Hampshire DMV office
- Filled in commercial driver’s license application form
- Current and valid New Hampshire driving license
- Medical card that is up to date and is valid
You can get commercial driver license application form for State of New Hampshire by clicking on the following link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv312.pdf. This link directly takes you to the official website of Division of Motor Vehicles. Therefore it will not be a problem for you later on.
And in case you are looking for information regarding medical card then you can get that as well by clicking on following official website link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-licensing/commercial/index.htm#medical-card.
Things to know about New Hampshire commercial driver license
- All applicants must pass vision as well as CDL general knowledge test
- You must go through commercial driver license manual of New Hampshire before you apply for New Hampshire commercial driver license
- To have access to this manual you just have to click on following website link to go to the official website – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/nhcdm.pdf
- When all the knowledge tests complete then you would go for rest of the processes
- And here one of the process include road skills test
- Another most important fact that is to be kept in mind is that this skills test depends on endorsements and class of driver’s license you are looking at
How to add endorsements on New Hampshire commercial driver license?
It is quite a simple process for an individual to add endorsements to a commercial driver license of New Hampshire. As an applicant you must however remember some of the most important aspects and here we are talking about steps to be followed.
Firstly you must pass vision test and take required knowledge test. Second you go to DMV office of New Hampshire so that endorsement process begins. Finally you must carry New Hampshire commercial driver license application form (filled in) and current / valid commercial driving license of New Hampshire.
Post knowledge and vision tests, you will appear for road skills tests only when it applies to you. Besides people who apply for hazmat endorsement have to get Transportation Safety Administration / TSA Fingerprint Clearance (https://hazprints.tsa.dhs.gov/Public/Locations.aspx) so that all things fall in to place.
Steps to renew New Hampshire commercial driver license
You must go in person to the Department of Motor Vehicles to renew New Hampshire commercial driver license along with current and valid New Hampshire CDL and filled in application form. It is also necessary for you to pass vision test in order to renewal commercial driving license of New Hampshire. There are other rules that have to be followed as these depend on the type of license you possess. You can continue reading to know more about it here –
Hazardous Material or Hazmat
For the Hazmat endorsement you should clear Hazmat knowledge test apart from obtaining clearance from that of the TSA (Transportation Safety Administration) through finger printing. Ensure that these steps are carried out way before you step in to the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles office.
School bus certificate
When the talk revolves around renewing of School Bus Certificate, then you must clear school bus certificate knowledge test besides providing evidence that you are trained. The proof has to state clearly that you are on school bus company roaster for the academic year (or school year).
Steps for transferring New Hampshire CDL from another state
There is one aspect here that you must keep in mind and it is that an applicant does not have to attempt any kind of written tests for transferring commercial driving license of New Hampshire. This rule applies only when transferring of out of state CDL to New Hampshire commercial driver’s license of the same class and endorsements is being done.
Finally out of state commercial driver license must have finger – printed Hazmat endorsement only in cases when they take Hazmat knowledge test.
Points to remember about military CDL (road test waiver)
Only a written exam gets things going when it comes to military CDL road test waiver. However only candidates who are trained in operating heavy vehicles are allowed to apply for this New Hampshire commercial driver license.
All applicants have to follow certain rules and regulations so that they are eligible for the road test waiver. To help you further in this regard, we listed out some of the most important rules here. You can continue reading as below you will find all the important terms and conditions that have been clearly stated
- You should be a resident of New Hampshire
- You must either be either serving in the military (as an active member) or you have to be veteran with 12 months of general or at the least honorable discharge
- In addition it is also necessary for all to clear all the New Hampshire commercial driving license knowledge exams
- A certification of Commanding Officer is also another of the vital documents to be produced. Therefore the authorities allow you to provide this certificate on Form DSMV 609 which you can get by clicking on the following link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv609.pdf
- Last but not the least, it is also necessary for you to give the details of driving offenses (includes civilian as well as military licenses)
- It is advised to all the candidates that they mention correct details in the form because only then application would be forwarded for further processes otherwise Division of Motor Vehicles have every right to reject the application form
- And before you apply for this waiver, you must download waiver application form
- Moreover all the veterans as well as service members must fill the waiver application form before taking it to the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles office
- You can get this application from the official website of Department of Motor Vehicles, New Hampshire by clicking on the following website link – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/dsmv609.pdf
- In case you are not sure of the locations of the motor vehicle office of New Hampshire then you can click on the link given here as it takes you directly to the official website – https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/locations/index.htm
How to get duplicate New Hampshire driver license?